I consider this cell phone cursed for the following reasons:
a) I must rely on my 7 year-old house brother to assist me in "recharging" the phone with more minutes. Here in Guatemala, this involves walking to the tienda at the end of my street and purchasing more minutes.
b) I have no idea how much minutes cost, nor how to check my balance. I do not understand "triple" days or "10 for 1" promotions. This is Antonio's responsibility. (Yes, he is 7 years old.)
c) The telephone does not have a touch screen. On this first day I purchased this phone, I confess, I tried dialing by touching the plastic screen. I have been ruined by my American iPhone.
d) I am embarrassed to admit that I think I used to own this exact phone back in 2001 or so. Somehow, between then and now, I forgot everything. I learned today, after 4 weeks, how to lock the keys, which is essential since my phone randomly decides to make phone calls and waste my precious minutes (acquired with much difficultly - for me).
For the record, I love my cell phone because it keeps me connected to my new Guatemalan friends and family. But I completely blame Apple for stunting my technological growth. I am sure Antonio, in his 7 year-old mind, is wondering, in beautifully rapid Spanish, how this blond woman with her fancy iPhone can possibly expect to learn Spanish if she cannot navigate the intricacies of purchasing minutes from Claro for her cell phone. Just today, we had a 10 minute conversation on whether I wanted to purchase a card of minutes or have the tienda recharge my phone. Antonio explained the advantages of both -- 2 times -- in offensively slow Spanish. I still have no idea what to do...except give him 100 Quetzales and say "Por favor?"
That's priceless! Give him a high 5 for me :)
ReplyDelete