Hasta mañana, I began my Spanish class at 9:00 am. After 2 hours of attempting to understand the use of "este" and "ese" (demonstrative pronouns), Mariela and I decided to stroll around town. First, we made the usual trip to the Parque Central for banking and a newspaper. Then we headed up the hill to Plaza Democracia for the fruit market.
I enjoy fruit, and since we had a communal lunch planned at school, I figured it would be nice to prepare a fresh fruit salad. How can one pass up a $1 pineapple and $0.75 watermelon??
As I stroll along, who do I encounter? My former students (and one soon to be student) -- Eusebia, Nelly, and Zoila Mazariegos with their parents, uncle, and cousins! Eusebia was shocked to see me. It was hysterical!
(NOTE to students: Your teachers are EVERYWHERE! They can always find you!)
So, I now have a fiesta to attend in a nearby pueblo on Wednesday with the Mazariegos family! They are very gracious to invite me and Mariela to enjoy the fiesta (and live music) with them. It should be another memorable experience and it is such a pleasure for me to partake in the rich culture of my students and their families.
Until tomorrow...
(When I will update you on the heavenly dish known as 'petein' which includes chocolate, mole, and plantains. Yum.)
July 06, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
as in eusebia in my t.a. in 2004? can't believe it and how fun to run into to someone you know. i agree with jenny, you must include a pic of your family. we need to meet them. i loved your morning schedule post. and that bumper sticker...you're right. you are exactly where you are supposed to be!!! can't wait to get the recipe of this heavenly dish!!! am loving your adventures! be safe! noelle
ReplyDeleteHow is it possible I don't know Petein...it sounds like something I would LOVE!
ReplyDeleteMole? As in the things in the yard I want to get rid of? Interesting, can't wait to hear about it. That is so neat you ran into one of your students, I am sure the look was that of mutual surprise on both sides. Glad you are settling in. Ciao ~
ReplyDeleteAnd when you ran into the girls with their mouths agape...did you ask them what they were doing stalking their teacher on her vacation? LOL.
ReplyDeleteI wonder who you will run into when you go scuba diving Honduras?
Be safe!
Cheryl, you should definitely try to write a bit in Spanish - for the real ESL experience . . . If you see Zoila again, tell her I want to know where her library book is! (just kidding, send them all my love).
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are having un tiempo fantastico. ¡Quiero ver más fotos!
;-)